April 4th, 2014
This week’s dish uses gemelli pasta that is composed of two “strands” of pasta that are seemingly twisted together. The structure of this pasta helps to embrace the simple sauce that is below, but you are welcome to use another pasta of your choice. This recipe is great for those who prefer pasta served in a sauce other than one that is tomato-based.
The use of Old Neighborhood Shaved Chicken Breast cuts down on the chicken’s prep time as well as its cooking time. Keep in mind that if you keep the chicken in the freezer, you don’t really have to thaw it out prior to tossing it in the skillet! Also, while canned artichoke hearts saves time, you are free to use freshly boiled artichokes instead. Cooking a dish like this is convenient, and saves you money that you may have spent at an Italian restaurant!
Chicken Gemilli with Artichokes, Mushrooms, & Sun-Dried Tomatoes (recipe page)
• 16 oz. gemelli pasta
• 1 lb. package of Old Neighborhood Shaved Chicken Breast
• 2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
• 1 – 2 cans of artichoke hearts, halved
• 1 jar of sun-dried tomatoes packed in extra virgin olive oil
• 4-5 cremini mushrooms, sliced
• 4 tsp. dried parsley flakes
• 1 3/4 cup of chicken broth
• 1/2 cup of white wine
• 1/2 tsp salt
• grated parmesan cheese, for garnish
1. In a small pot, cook the pasta according to package instructions. Drain, toss with a bit of oil, and set aside.
As the pasta is cooking:
2. Rinse and drain the can(s) of artichoke hearts. Set aside.
3. Drain the sun-dried tomatoes while reserving the oil. You can cut the tomatoes into smaller pieces if you wish. I didn’t, but I found the pieces to be rather large while eating.
4. In a skillet heated over medium-high, heat about 2 tbsp. of the reserved oil. Add the shaved chicken breast, and cook for about 5 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
6. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, chicken broth, and white wine. Scrape the pan to dislodge any chicken that may have stuck earlier. Cook for about 5 minutes, and then add the mushrooms. Continue cooking for about another 3 minutes until the sauce is slightly reduced.
7. Add the chicken, salt, and any remaining reserved oil. Continue cooking for another 2 minutes.