October 22nd, 2013
With sweet potatoes and apples being in season, why not make a quick dish to enjoy on a warm autumn’s day? The good thing about using our Old Neighborhood Shaved Pork is that not only does it allow us to branch away from the usual ribs, pulled pork, or pork chop recipes, but it is shaved thin for the convenience of quick meals! The 10-minute simmering in the recipe below allows the shaved pork to be cooked tender, quickly. This is easily a 30-minute meal, and it turns out to be fairly healthy with Old Neighborhood Shaved Pork (being no less than 90% lean), vegetables, and an apple! Note that you can adjust the cooking time and cooking order, depending on how much “crunch” you want in your sweet potato and apple pieces.
This recipe is enough for one delicious serving, but it can easily be doubled (or quadrupled) for a tasty family meal.
Shaved Pork October Medley (recipe page can be found here)
¼ lb. Old Neighborhood Shaved Pork
¼ tsp. sugar
¼ tsp. salt
½ tsp. garlic powder
1 cup chicken broth
½ tsp. olive oil
¼ lb. sweet potato, cubed
¼ onion, chopped
½ gala apple, chopped
4 baby bella mushrooms, quartered
¼ tsp. paprika
pinch of ground cinnamon
black pepper to taste
1. Combine the shaved pork, salt, and sugar in a bowl. Cover and let it sit for at least 10 minutes.
2. Heat a small pot over medium heat. Stir fry the pork with the garlic powder for about three minutes.
3. Pour in the chicken broth, cover the pot, and let it simmer.
4. After about ten minutes, remove the pot from the stove.
5. Drain the pork, making sure to keep the broth. Set the pork and the broth aside.
6. In a pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
7. Add the sweet potato cubes to the pan, and stir fry for about 5 minutes.
8. Add the chopped onion and the chopped apple to the pan, and cook for about another 2 minutes.
9. Add the broth from earlier, the mushrooms, paprika, and the pinch of cinnamon to the pan, cooking for another 1-2 minutes.
10. Add the pork and scallions, cooking for about 1 minute.
11. Sprinkle with a bit of black pepper.
12. Remove from the stove, plate, and enjoy!